Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Interview at the Intercontinental Hotel Costa Rica

Last Friday I saw a telecommuting position on Craigslist Costa Rica that involved part-time accounting work from home.  I replied to the job offer via email and two days later (on a Sunday), I was interviewing with one of the company's owners inside the beautiful Intercontinental Hotel Costa Rica (pics below).  I'm still waiting to see if I got the job, but in the meantime, I thought I'd post about this gorgeous hotel.

The Intercontinental Costa Rica is located in Escazu, a very lovely and modern suburb of San Jose.  Some people call this area "gringoville."  The Intercontinental Costa Rica (full name "Intercontinental Real Hotel and Club Tower), can be seen right off the main highway running through Escazu (Prospero Fernandez Hwy), and is right across the street from the American-style mall known as Multiplaza Escazu.  From the minute I walked into the lobby, I felt an ambience of modern luxury.  The Intercontinental Costa Rica offers 261 room and is centered on a five-story atrium lobby.  There is also a clover-shaped pool with swim up bar just outside the lobby, business and conference centers, two restaurants (Asian and Italian), a fitness center and spa, and a shuttle that runs to and from the airport and city as well.

My interview started in the lobby at 11:45am, and moved into the Asian restaurant at noon.  The sushi at this restaurant was the best I have tasted in Costa Rica to date (I am so happy to have found good sushi here - finally!).  After the regular interview questions, my interviewer (the co-owner of an internet marketing firm), explained why he was looking for someone based out of Costa Rica to fill the job, instead of someone back home in Colorado where the company is based.  Simply put - he can pay so much less this way!

Well, despite the fact that I may make about half what someone in the States would make in this same position, I hope I get called for the position.  Nothing beats being able to work from home, and more importantly, being able to work in Costa Rica without the hassle of a work permit.  This personal information aside, I really enjoyed my visit to the magnificent Intercontinental Costa Rica.  It is definitely top-of-the line for Costa Rica.  But if you want to stay here, be prepared.  In the words of my interviewer, "The rooms here are expensive!"  Ranging from $150 on up to a whopping $1,100 per night, I'd have to agree with him.  Still, if you are seeking luxury accommodations in Costa Rica, the Intercontinental Costa Rica fits the bill nicely.  You can click HERE to visit the hotel's official website.

Intercontinenal Hotel Lobby - Looking Towards Reception Desk

One of the Conference Rooms inside the Intercontinental

Sitting area inside the Intercontinental Costa Rica lobby (where I met my interviewer)

Looking out from the Lobby towards the Intercontinental Pool Area

Intercontinental Costa Rica Pool Courtyard Area

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I usually travel a lot to San Jose in Costa Rica on business and in recent weeks I have stayed at the City Express, it seems a good choice from all the hotels in San Jose also i was between the Intercontinental or City Express, It is a small hotel but has great amenities and service. Gym, internet and breakfast are included in the Price. Which is very affordable. I really like this hotel because it is geared for business people and the staff is very helpful at all times.

Post a Comment