- Costa Rican building prices have gotten quite expensive. We had wanted to build the cabin for about $16,000 USD total, but are already up to about $24,000. This doesn't include the cost of any landscaping or of pouring a cement driveway.
- Due to costs being so much higher than expected, we decided to go without a few amenities for a while, including: air conditioning, a stove, and a washer / dryer. These things are a luxury in these parts of Costa Rica.
- Bugs are a fact of life here. We have our windows open during the day and no one out here believes in using window screens.
- I am really enjoying being surrounded by so much nature out here. Our backyard leads to a tree-filled area that drops off a cliff down to a small stream. My boyfriend's mother bought the lot of land next to ours and built a small picnic shelter down by the stream. She hung a hammock there, so it has become one of my favorite places to hang out and read a book, or just take in the sights and sounds of nature.
- We are about 20 minutes from the closest city of Esparza (where we can do our food shopping, banking, etc.). Buses rarely pass by the cabin road, and cabs are about $5 each way (a bit pricey in my opinion). So getting around without a car is almost impossible.
- We also found out, to my dismay, that there is no internet service out here yet. I guess I didn't realize how out in the boonies I really am! We are trying to see if a data card will work out in this area. Still haven't had success with it, but our fingers are crossed:)
- My boyfriend and I figured it would be safe not to put up any bars on our windows for a while (since it will probably cost another $2000 USD or so). Bars on windows are a way of life throughout most of Costa Rica. Unfortunately, we were just informed that a couple of our neighbor's homes were broken into recently and everything was stolen from them. So much for thinking you can really be safe anywhere anymore :(
- My cats have adjusted well to life in the cabin and are loving the views out our windows (see them lounging on our bed below).
|The Outside of our Cabin|
|My Two Cats Blackie & Sierra Chilling on our Bed|
|Closet and stairs to a small study area|
|The Cabin Bathroom|
|View towards trees in the back and the picnic shelter down by the stream|